- 1 whole Large Onion
- 2 cups Buttermilk
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon (scant) Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon (to 1/2 Teaspoon) Cayenne Pepper
- 1 quart (to 2 Quarts) Canola Oil
- Black Pepper To Taste
- Slice onion very thin. Place in a baking dish and cover with buttermilk and soak for at least an hour.
- Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees.
- Grab a handful of onions, throw into the flour mixture, tap to shake off excess, and PLUNGE into hot oil. Fry for a few minutes and remove as soon as golden brown.
- Repeat until onions are gone.
- Eat before your family sees them.
- Repeat with another onion, because they’ll be really mad they didn’t get any.