*** Recipes Tutorials ***
One of the things I like least about having a recipe blog is that I rarely get to make the same thing twice. I usually feel like I am ‘wasting’ a dinner by not coming up with, and posting something new. I made zucchini boats the first time a few weeks ago, and liked them so much I just had to try them again. I really wanted to have pizza last night, so I decided to try pizza on zucchini. They were so good! I just made my typical pizza, with pesto and pepperoni and they turned out amazing. You can, of course, modify this however you want, add your favorite pizza toppings – pretty much anything will work. The cooking times will leave you with a firm, but cooked zucchini. If you want it softer, just increase the time in the oven.
- 6 med. zucchini
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- ¼ cup bread crumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning blend
- 1 (2 oz.) can sliced black olives
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Wash the zucchini well to remove any grit. Slice the zucchini lengthwise and, using a spoon, scoop out the flesh from the center. Leave about one centimeter of zucchini around the edges. Save the scooped out zucchini flesh in a bowl.
- Place the scooped out zucchini halves on a baking sheet. Dump the reserved zucchini flesh out onto a cutting board and chop it into smaller pieces. Return the chopped pieces to the bowl and stir in the tomato sauce, bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning.
- Refill the zucchini halves with the prepared mixture. Top with mozzarella cheese and black olives. Place in the oven and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is slightly browned. The longer the zucchini are in the oven, the softer they’ll be so if you like firmer zucchini, bake for a shorter amount of time.