Fudge on a stick? Swirl these blocks into a mug of hot milk and enjoy luscious hot chocolate. In need of a creamy chocolate fix? Nibble the chocolate blocks directly from the stick.
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- One 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 3 cups semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped or in chips (Jane note: I actually used 1 cup 60% cacao chips, 1 cup semi-sweet chips, and 1 cup milk chocolate chips)
- One 4-oz bar unsweetened chocolate (broken or chopped into smaller pieces)
- Wooden or cookie/lollipop sticks
- 8″x8″ pan, lined with parchment paper
- Heat the cream and sweetened condensed milk over medium-low heat until it starts steaming, stirring periodically. Remove from heat and add chocolate. Stir and let sit for 10 minutes, then put back on medium-low heat and stir with a whisk until chocolate is completely melted and shiny. (At this point you could add some flavoring…vanilla, hazelnut, peppermint, whatever fits your fancy!)
- Pour chocolate into prepared pan and spread chocolate as level as you possibly can. Let sit overnight (12 hours or so).
- Remove chocolate from pan and cut, top side face down, into squares. Divide the block into sixths each direction, so your squares will be a bit larger than 1″ x 1″. Use a long, thin knife. Heat the knife under hot water, wipe dry with a towel or paper towel, make a few cuts, then repeat the knife-heating procedure. Makes 36 squares, although those corner squares are shaped a little funny…you might just want to eat those straight up while you’re cooking. You need the energy for all this hard work.
- For both the marshmallows and the chocolate squares, feel free to get creative with flavorings and/or rolling them in peppermint pieces, cocoa, etc. I just used a little vanilla in the chocolate and kept it simple. And they are still mighty delicious! One stick is good for about 4 – 8 ounces of hot milk…depending on how chocolatey you like it.
- I wrapped each stick in a square of cellophane and tied it with a pretty ribbon. I’m kind of in love with my hot chocolates on sticks.